Flaming squirrel ignites grass fire

Spearfish Volunteer Fire Department crews work to extinguish a grass fire that started on a hillside on Miller Ranch along Colorado Boulevard Monday. A call came in at 11:23 a.m. that a fire was burning near some utility poles. Chief Travis Ladson said a squirrel had gotten shocked while touching the power lines, which caused the transformer to blow forcing the squirrel, which was on fire, to drop to the ground. Dubbed the “Dead Squirrel Fire,” crews had the blaze knocked down in 20 minutes. “We had a really good response and everyone did a good job,” Ladson said.

Pioneer photo by Heather Murschel

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.