Belle Fourche house fire originated in chimney

The Thursday fire at a residence on Belle Fourche’s Eighth Avenue began as a chimney fire. Fire crews worked to contain the blaze for three hours. Pioneer photo by Lacey Peterson

Click to purchase this photo

BELLE FOURCHE –– A Thursday house fire in Belle Fourche was triggered by buildup in the home’s chimney, causing the chimney and adjoining wall to catch fire according to fire officials. 

James Moross, assistant fire chief with the Belle Fourche Volunteer Fire Department, told the Pioneer Friday that fire crews were paged to the scene shortly after 3:30 p.m. 

The chimney fire was located in the rear of the historical Eighth Avenue home. 

The chimney was the vent for a wood-burning fireplace in the home.

“If they’re properly maintained, a lot of times you don’t have that (risk of fire), but it was just a pure accident,” Moross said.

He said firefighters contained the fire within the back of the house and cut a vent hole in the home’s roof and also cut a portion of the exterior wall to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.

The home suffered smoke and water damage but no injuries were reported.

The Spearfish Fire Department also responded as mutual aid to assist with the fire. 

Crews were on scene until approximately 6:30 p.m.

To read all of today's stories, Click here or call 642-2761 to subscribe to our e-edition or home delivery.

0
0
1
0
1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.